~ 16-year-old stitch

The title for the this post brings me back to my younger years when my entire family and surrounding neighbors would call my youngest brother - Mitch - 'the itch'.  He was a needy toddler so he was nicknamed appropriately. This post has nothing to do with Mitch (sorry).  I think since I have been spending more time focusing on what's important to me I think much more frequently about my family that lives a great distance from me (which is every single member of the Enderle clan).  The only connection this post has to do with Mitch is that stitch, itch, and Mitch all rhyme.  

Anyway, have you ever had something happen in your life where you think back and almost can't comprehend how you made it through that moment?  I know that I have experienced a number of those moments in my life and it has made me so much stronger and forced me to rely on God for his never ending love.  

As many of you know, Ireland Rae was born with a congenital heart defect and she needed surgery shortly after her birth.  We spent the first three weeks of her life in a Minneapolis hospital.  During that time, I remember specifically thanking God for her, but also praying HE wasn't going to take her yet.   She not only survived, but she thrived.  We are very grateful parents to be able to watch her grow and experience all that we have had the pleasure of experiencing.  

She is now 16 years old and has a stitch that is working its way out of the incision from when she was delicately stitched up as a week old infant.  It sounds crazy and possibly sounds like we are off our rockers here in the tundra, but she really does.  I asked her if I could take a picture and she pretty much said that was the weirdest thing ever so I have no picture to share with you of the stitch that is surfacing right now! 

Years ago there wasn't a day that would go by that I didn't reminisce about her surgery and worry if she was going to be a 'normal' teenager/adult.  As the years have come and gone, I have become super busy with my family and I very rarely think about her surgery that occurred so long ago.  Her stitch releasing itself from her chest cavity is just another reminder that something so small and seemingly insignificant means so much to me.  It was partly because of that stitch that Ireland Rae is still with us and has brought so much joy to all of our lives.  

The simplicity of that stitch reminds me that God has a very specific plan for her life - I am so blessed that I get to watch HIS plan unfold before me.

The picture I attached is one that I have always loved because this was the first time she (as a two week old) was dressed in clothing. This was the first day I looked beyond the tubes and meds being pumped into her body and just noticed that someone took the time to dress her.  It really is the simple things in life that are always right under our noses.


For those of you who might be curious, the stitch is black in color and looks like a really deep sliver or an ingrown hair.  This is not the first stitch that has surfaced over the years and it can take anywhere from one month to four months to fully exit the body.  Bizarre, yet fascinating!


Who would have thought a single stitch surfacing 16 years later is my subtle reminder that life is beautiful each and every day !

~Jenn

Comments

Popular Posts