Week 46 - Memories and Feelings

Day 317




I'm one who puts my Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving and sometimes....gasp.... even before Veteran's Day. It does not mean I think less of Thanksgiving or don't give it enough attention. It is as simple as, I like Christmas decorations and the way they make me feel. I am ok with whatever you do or don't do, so let's not judge each other for when we decorate for the holidays. Life is much too complicated for this to even be an issue.

Day 318

Epiphany

My epiphany came when I wrote the above post regarding putting up your Christmas tree early. I have always put up my tree early and make no apologies for doing so. It makes me happy, brings me joy, and brings about emotions that I often do not experience at other times of the year. I feel a sense of peace and calm and this brings about nostalgic memories and pleasant thoughts through the sights, smells, and sounds of decorating my home for the holidays.

Epiphany moment as an educator...............

Most educators have had experiences with students who sometimes display behaviors that appear out of nowhere and can become significant. I made a connection between my moments of seeing, hearing, or smelling something that brings back memories (for me they are mostly positive and feel-good memories). For some of our students, seeing, hearing, smelling, or touching something might trigger an emotion that brings about negative emotions (previous or current traumatic events). One can never predict when a smell, sight, sound, or touch might evoke feelings of discomfort or elicit a response that is undesirable. Unfortunately, most children are unable to explain or understand why these rapid feelings and emotions come about and how they are related to their behavior. 

This correlation really made me think how fortunate so many of us are that we do not have negative sensory experiences that impact our daily routines or that we have learned to cope with them in a more productive manner. 

I love when my brain can make connections between two seemingly different constructs and help me become a more understanding educator.

Day 319




These throwbacks I find on Facebook are some of my favorite pictures of the week. Most of the items I have posted are ones that I had completely forgotten about. I specifically remember this advertisement and also remember where this bottle sat on my dresser. This is a cheesy ad but yet so indicative of the 80s (literally the best era ever). Ireland once said she wished she grew up in the 80s - yes, I sometimes do wish my children could have experienced the simplistic upbringing we had. 

No phones, no social media, or no internet - what a great and wonderful time!

Day 320


To all of my overthinking friends out there, here is your reminder to terminate those thoughts. My favorite line from above states, all your thoughts are not facts. Those of us who chronically overthink everything sometimes believe they are facts which makes it more challenging to release. 

Overthinking doesn't change what already transpired but rather hinders your ability to move forward. 
Again, life is short, spend your energy on what is in your control.

Day 321



Greg beginning the prep work for the big Thanksgiving meal. 


Although our children now eat almost everything we make, there was a time when all they would want to eat is a bun with lots of butter. Aiden was the worst.....we actually still have to hide the buns before Thursday or he will likely deplete our stock and prevent others from enjoying this staple on Thanksgiving Day.

Day 322

It is so great to have Ireland home for Thanksgiving. She flew into the tiny Jamestown airport and I picked her up after work to come home to Dickinson. No baggage carousel, no jetway, and free parking within feet of the terminal which is the size of an average home. I just love the small-town airports. She commented how it felt like she was in a Hallmark movie. 

Big city girl returns to her hometown but as she is leaving the airport she gets caught in a snowstorm. Her vehicle slides into the ditch and becomes stuck. A local finds her and brings her back to his Christmas cabin until the blizzard passes. Imagine the coincidence that her high school flame works at the cabin during the holidays to help his uncle. Of course, the snow does not let up and she has to stay at the cabin for several days which is just enough time for her to fall in love (so predictable, but so sweet at the same time).

OK - now back to reality. Ireland and I made it home just fine (despite the blowing snow) and she will be staying almost two weeks but will be rejoining her husband back in the big city in December.

It is great to have her home and we cannot wait for the boys to join us next week.

Day 323



Decorating some Thanksgiving cookies with Ireland this time. She found the process quite tedious but stuck with it and rolled out some nice pies. She also discovered how difficult it is to create the perfect pumpkin pie shade of color. You need to be an art major to know how to change the color to match your desired shade. It is no joke!



Happy Thanksgiving to you all and may the holiday bring lots of food, family, friends, and fun.


Comments

Popular Posts