Weeks 40-42

 Days 276 -295

I have learned there are two things that are mentally healthy for me - writing and walking/running.

What I find interesting is that when one is taken away, the other actually appears to follow shortly behind. I have had a nagging injury that has prevented me from doing all of the outdoor activities that I love. Greg, Jason (Greg's brother), and I decided to run a 50K trail race in Duluth. I have always wanted to say I did a 50K. Unfortunately for me, I was feeling overly motivated to complete this race that I overtrained (during one week's time) and became injured to the point that I could barely walk some days. 

I was so disappointed in myself and in my body that I could not just train through it. It was heartbreaking, to say the least. When one's body fails them (in any facet) it is a hard pill to swallow. I know in the scope of life, a knee injury is nothing compared to what many are facing right now and I would never want to compare my journey to someone else's. 

When I could no longer train for the race (and had to watch and hear about Greg and Jason's training), I was struggling to find joy and happiness in their ability to still complete the race. With that sadness, I failed to find anything positive to write about. 

After a week of reflection, I have learned...............

1. My own will and motivation cannot heal my body

2. Time and patience are necessary for healing

3. It is important to find joy in each and every day regardless of circumstances

4. Sadness and depression can sneak up when you least expect it

5. One must find other ways to bring happiness when one is taken away

6. Be honest with yourself about your limitations

7. Because I didn't run, I was able to spend quality time with my kids.

8. Spending time in nature immersed in the beauty of fall in Duluth is unmatched

9. I found a new and hip coffee shop  - 190°

10. Life doesn't give you what you want and desire

11. God has an unaltered plan for me

I can say without reservation that I didn't handle the disappointment with grace, but I finally did accept the reality of what was and what is. I know that moving forward, I can only respond to what I am faced with at that moment and not fixate on what is out of my control or within my ability to restore.










Greg's finishing photo - the trail was muddy and wet but he managed to finish 31 miles in 8 hours and 24 minutes. Long day out climbing up and down the Superior Hiking Trail! What an accomplishment - another bucket list item crossed off. 

........................................................................................................................

We both will be crossing a bucket list item off in December - stay tuned (no running involved)!








Comments

Popular Posts