Week #8

Week #8 will be filled with several more than the typical one photo per day.  It was a WONDERFUL week filled with adventure and stepping outside of my comfort zone.  



#49


Sunny San Diego was such a welcome relief from the frigid cold of North Dakota.  I had the privilege of taking part in the Marine Corp Educator's Workshop in California for the week.  Our flight arrived around noon on Monday so my roommate and I took the opportunity to explore Shelter Island. We spent over three hours soaking up the sun as the week's forecast included rain.


 #50


We woke up early to the moon shining brightly between the masts of the sailboats. We are all ready for the day ahead of us (although I'm pretty sure not one of us expected what was to come just a few short minutes after this photo). From left to right: Yvonne (my roommate from ND), me, Melissa, Mary, and Hayley (all from Minnesota).



The yellow footprints are the first step in a Marine's life as they begin boot camp.  They were originally painted on the pavement as a way for scared young men to have a place to stand in formation after getting off the bus for the very first time.  They often complete the yellow foot print ceremony in the dark of night which creates even more mystery to the first day in boot camp.
The second photo is where we were stripped of our belongings and told we were not allowed to keep any of the items listed below.  Did I mention that they scream, holler, and count down as one is cleaning out their bag????  BTW: my bag contained three items that are strictly prohibited.  







The CFT (Combat Fitness Test) was next on the list of Marine requirements.  Run a half mile, lift an ammo can weighing 35 pounds above your head as many times as possible in two minutes, and run, crawl, carry a teammate, carry more ammo cans, throw a grenade into a designated area, and then carry those ammo cans back the length of a football field.  Did I again mention that the drill instructors are screaming to do it faster and faster and faster.  Thank goodness for my supportive partner Amelia for cheering me on with her positive words of encouragement.  In the photo on the right, the DI is yelling at me to pick up the cans although I had just dropped off my teammate and my arms felt like jello.  



HE IS STILL HOLLERING AT ME!!!



Bayonet training!  I jumped over logs and crawled in and out of a bunker with all of this gear.  I'm pretty sure I would have failed this training had I been evaluated on it.  Harder than it looks!


#51



We learned a lot about the different career opportunities that are available in the Marine Corp.  I am amazed at the expansive list of jobs available (over 700) to members of the Marines.  There are musicians, meteorologists, snipers, mechanics, and chaplains, just to name a few.  


#52


I am practicing in this photo with a simulator, but will soon pull the trigger on the real deal if I can overcome my fear of shooting a gun.  


Sargent Garcia was so patient with me as I worked toward hitting the target.  

Bucket list: Shoot a gun - ✅


We competed in a challenge where we had a to accomplish the task of moving the med box to the other side of the stall (I am standing on the post in the middle).  If we touched the ground or anything painted red, we were required to run while carrying ammo cans.  Then we could enter the challenge again.  The first challenge our team completed was a fail and we all had to run. 


#53




Drill instructor Officer Govea bidding Hayley and me farewell at the end of an amazing week.  Now to leave sunny (and sometimes rainy) San Diego behind.  



 Flight from San Diego to Denver - short and sweet.
Denver to home - not so much - delayed, delayed, and finally board plane at 10 ish only to take us off and cancel the flight.  
Too many weather cancellations in the area led to no hotels within 10 miles of the airport, so my roommate and I slept in the airport.

NOT ON MY BUCKET LIST:  Sleep in the airport ✅


#54




My roommate Yvonne and I trying to get some sleep at the airport.  Yvonne is much more resilient than I am as she was able to find a somewhat comfortable place that proved to be much warmer than the 1/8 inch carpet on the freezing, cold concrete.  



Pretty sure these pants could stand up on their own at this point.  I wore them twice while in San Diego and all day Friday and Saturday.  

 Mental note next time I fly:  Wear leggings and comfortable shoes!


#55

I will leave you with a final picture of the week.  


If you are considering joining the Marines, be prepared to only have access to bathrooms with NO stalls for privacy.  The recruits are expected to use these bathrooms during their 12 weeks of boot camp.  My appreciation for a restroom with individual stalls has grown tremendously!


This week's post has hands-down been my favorite to write about.  I would like to thank the Marine Corp and Sgt. Reif for making this experience possible and to my roommate, Yvonne, who by far has me beat as the napping queen.





Comments

Popular Posts