Firecrackers and fairy tales

I have been blessed with a wonderful student teacher, Cheryl Knudson, this semester which has allowed me some time to work on my school to-do list (which included planning a new unit of study in reading).  This list, by the way, NEVER goes away even with a student teacher.  She is nearing the end of her student teaching experience and I decided to take back reading since we were beginning a new unit.  Once I started to plan this unit, I told my students we will be learning all about fairy tales, fables and myths in reading.  I had a tinge of excitement, but none like what the students displayed.  I had no idea 3rd grade kids would love reading fairy tales SOOOOO much.  As they watched me plan this unit, they kept popping up at my desk like little firecrackers asking all sorts of questions like:
      When are we beginning the new unit?
      What books will we be reading?
      May I share a book that I have from home?
      Is that whole tub of books on your desk ALL fairy tales?
      Do we get to write fairy tales?
      How many weeks do we get to read fairy tales?
      Is Tangled  (a Disney movie) a fairy tale?

I am just so grateful that my students still have an enthusiasm for learning at this time of year.  Normally, the final quarter of the school year is where students (and I hate to admit it, but sometimes teachers) start slowing down and carrying an "I just want to be done" attitude.  I felt I owed it to my little "firecrackers" to feel as much excitement as they do. 

I taught my first two lessons on fairy tales and the students learned the different character archetypes that show up in fairy tales.  TEACHER CONFESSION:  I had to look up the word archetypes on google so I knew the correct definition.  The students were so engaged and I loved watching that excitement so I made the decision to change the outside of my classroom door into a castle so when the students arrive on Tuesday they will be surprised.  I am hopeful this will help them stay focused on learning the last couple of months of school  (which can be a challenge for students).   Luckily, it is Easter weekend so I had the time to work at school and create something exciting for the students. 



 
 
I know we have to forge through this "fairy tale" unit so we can enjoy the "firecrackers" that are sure to come this summer! 
 
So here is to closing out the 2014-2015 school year strong with a fun reading unit.  I know my students have what it takes, so I hope I don't disappoint. 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts